Enjoying the Bay's beautiful outdoors
Te Moananui ā Toi | the Coastal Bay of Plenty, is a slice of paradise on New Zealand’s East Coast. Made up of some of the country’s best beaches and short walks, it’s a wonderful place to go to get back to nature.
THE BAY'S ACCESSIBLE BEACHES
The Coastal Bay of Plenty has over 120 kilometres of stunning coastline and some of New Zealand’s most-loved beaches. The great news is that there are increasingly more options for beach accessibility in this region, including beach mats and beach wheelchairs.
Beach wheelchairs are available to book in these locations:
- Pāpāmoa Beach: book through the Pāpāmoa Surf Life Saving Club. The club has two wheelchairs or “beach buggies” for hire and there is no cost to use them.
- Mount Maunganui Main Beach: contact the Mount Maunganui Beachside Holiday Park to hire either their medium or large beach access wheelchair.
- Waihī Beach: to book, call the Waihī Beach Top 10 Holiday Resort on 0800 924 448. Book a date and time (2-hour usage). The wheelchairs are free to use. For any queries about how to use the wheelchairs, email: [email protected]
- Ōhope Beach: stunning Ōhope Beach is a must when you visit the Bay of Plenty! Beach wheelchair hire is available through the Whakatāne Disabilities Resource Centre on 07 307 1447 or [email protected].
Image: (L-R) Maddison Snow & Michelle Kleynhans, from Goldfields School.
Mount Maunganui beach mats:
The beach matting at Pilot Bay and Cutters Cove will be picked up after Easter, but plans are in place to keep matting down at Main Mount Beach / the Cenotaph over winter 2021.
ACCESSIBLE PICNIC TABLES
As you travel through the region, you may want to take the chance to stop for a picnic. The Bay has several accessible picnic tables which are designed so the wheelchair user can sit in the middle of the table. You can find these at popular locations around Tauranga and Mount Maunganui. Tauranga City Council is planning to install more, so keep an eye out on this page to see when new locations are added.
- Pāpāmoa Domain, in front of BlueBiYou restaurant
- Mount Maunganui Beach, opposite Cutterscove Resort Apartments (outside 136 Marine Parade). Beach access mat is also available at this location
- Tye Park, Welcome Bay
- Arataki Park (by the BBQ)
- Cameron Road Reserve
- Horoipia Reserve
- Zespri green space, Maunganui Road