McLaren Falls Park, Tauranga
McLaren Falls Park is located just 10 minutes’ drive from central Tauranga. The popular park comprises 190 hectares of parkland alongside the picturesque Lake McLaren. McLaren Falls Park is home to a number of easy walking tracks and is also a great spot for camping, fishing, kayaking, bbqs and picnics.
McLaren Falls Park Map
Browse the map below to view walks and facilities in McLaren Falls Park:
|McLaren Falls Park Map|
Adobe Acrobat Document, 193 KB
Getting to McLaren Falls Park
To drive from Tauranga or Mt Maunganui, see our Bay of Plenty navigation map (enter 'Lake McLaren' in the 'From' Field).
Things to do at McLaren Falls Park
- Walking and hiking tracks
- BBQs – Free gas barbecues are located around the park for use by the public.
- Picnics – Anywhere in McLaren Falls Park is perfect for a picnic!
- Fishing – Lake McLaren provides ample opportunity for trout fishing year-round.
- Kayaking – bring your own, or join one of the commercial kayaking trips operating on Lake McLaren.
- Glow Worms – The McLaren Falls Waterfall Track takes in both the pretty waterfall for which the park is named, and a spectacular glow worm dell after dark!
McLaren Falls Park accommodation – Camping & Hostel
Camping at McLaren Falls Park is permitted, for a maximum of three nights. Campers can pitch a tent anywhere in the park except for Cherry Bay.
- Camping Fees: Adults - $5 per night; Children aged under 16 are free.
- Bookings are not required – just turn up and pitch your tent!
McLaren Falls Hostel sleeps 16 and offers bathroom and basic kitchen facilities.
- Backpacker beds: $21 per night / $16 chlidren aged under 16
- Entire hostel booking: $115 per night / $57.50 per day from 10am-3pm
For more information on booking conditions, please visit the Tauranga City Council website.
McLaren Falls Park opening hours
The Park is open from 7am-7.30pm during summer and 7am-5.30pm during winter. After hours, gates will open for outgoing vehicles.