The National Jazz Festival presents a fantastic programme of events in Tauranga this Easter, showcasing performances from some of the best jazz musicians from right here in Aotearoa and around the world. There's something for everyone, from concerts at the Baycourt Community and Arts Centre, to a Downtown Carnival, Hurricane Parties and TECT Waterfront Gala on the Tauranga Waterfront.
Some of the great experiences on offer are the:
- Baycourt Concert Series, which includes a performance from NZ Divas Alchemy, featuring a line-up of some of New Zealand’s best female vocalists singing Kiwi pop songs reinvented as jazz. The Rodger Fox Funkbone Experience features American guests Dewayne Pate and Matt Harris. Australian jazz royalty is represented by stunning jazz vocalist Nichaud Fitzgibbon and Blues aficionados will be treated to a concert by international acoustic guitar sensation Paul Ubana Jones.
- Downtown Carnival - two days of jazz, blues and funk on the Strand - and a Family Fun Zone and street performances.
- Hurricane Party on the Waterfront - two nights to get your groove on – featuring Blues Roots from Swamp Thing, and jazz funk from The Hipstamatics and Melbourne’s The Cactus Channel
- New this year: We have the TECT Waterfront Gala on Easter Monday featuring a Big Band Bonanza with music from the Tauranga Big Band and the Queen City Big Band, food and market stalls from. The Little Big Markets, against the backdrop of the magnificent Tauranga Harbour – a wonderful family experience for young and old
- 40th National Youth Jazz Competition, where young jazz performers from Secondary Schools all over New Zealand compete for trophies
- History Buffs must get to Baycourt to check out our exhibition acknowledging 40 years of the National Youth Jazz Competition - you’ll be amazed to see who has graced our stages over the years!